Charles Zacharie Landelle (France, 1821 – 1908) “Women at Prayer” fine painting of Catholic women and children in prayer with nuns in the background. Oil on canvas. Signed and dated lower left. Housed in a carved/gilded frame. Illegible inscription carved into frame verso. Landelle studied under the supervision of the painters Paul Delaroche and Ary Scheffer at the School of Fine Arts in Paris. The painter started exhibiting at the Paris Salon in 1841 with religious works and portraits that met a great success among critics and visitors. Noticed by the king Louis-Philippe, he won a third-class medal in 1842 and a first-class one in 1848. Four years later, Napoleon III purchased two pieces, “Beatitudes”, in order to make a present to the city of Laval, the artist’s hometown. The emperor appointed him Knight of the Legion d’honneur and bought “The Rest of The Virgin”. In 1859, he started the decoration for six doors tops for the Hall of the aide-de-camp at the Elysee Palace, depicting the four elements and Allegories of War and Peace. He also won a medal at the 1855’s Universal Exhibition and in Philadelphia in 1876.
Sight Size: 11.5 x 18 in.
Overall Framed Size: 23 x 29.5 in.