Charles J Lundgren (New York, Connecticut, 1911 – 1988) “Benjamin F. Packard” oil on masonite painting. The Benjamin F. Packard delivered cargo to lively ports of call for more than 50 years. Beginning with her maiden voyage in 1883, this proud ship regularly sailed from the East Coast of the United States around Cape Horn, up America’s West Coast and back. A three-deck, three-skysail yarder, the Benjamin F. Packard delivered a variety of cargo to a growing nation including case oil, railroad iron, dry goods, whaling gear, lumber, grain and coal. An average trip from New York to San Francisco took this clipper ship 148 days. When running empty, however, she once made the return trip from San Francisco to New York in just 94 days. In 1908, the Northwestern Fisheries Company bought the Benjamin F. Packard to haul workers from San Francisco and Seattle to canneries in British Columbia and Alaska. Northwestern Fisheries made some changes to the old vessel over the years. Her rig was shortened to royals, and the copper sheathing that lined her bottom was replaced with anti-fouling paint. In 1939, the Benjamin F. Packard was stripped and sent to a watery grave at the bottom of Long Island Sound off Eaton Neck.
Size: 25.5 x 26 in.