Charles J Lundgren (New York, Connecticut, 1911 – 1988)
“U.S.S Delaware”. Oil on Masonite. Signed lower right. Collection labels verso.
The U.S.S. Delaware was one of the largest and most powerful ships in the newly-formed United States Navy. Construction on this seventy-four gun ship-of-the-line began at the the Navy’s first dry dock, the Norfolk Navy Yard in August, 1817. Her square-rigged sails bellowing in the breeze, she embarked on her maiden tour of duty on 10 February 1828 under the command of Captain J. Downs as flagship for Commodore W.M. Crane in the Mediterranean. There, she played a significant role in protecting the interests of American commerce and diplomacy until returning to Norfolk on 2 January 1830. The U.S.S. Delaware was temporarily decommissioned on 10 February 1830, but was recommissioned on 15 July 1833. She received President Andrew Jackson with a thunderous twenty-four gun salute on 29 July 1833 before again setting sail for the Mediterranean where she served as the flagship of Commodore D.T. Patterson. U.S.S Delaware was a visible reminder of the young American nation’s resolve for peace and independence wherever she went. One of U.S.S. Delaware’s final tours of duty began on 1 November 1841 as flagship for Commodore C. Morris at the Brazil Station. She patrolled the coasts of Brazil, Uruguay, and Argentina to protect American interests during a period of political unrest in those countries.
Overall Size: 20.5 x 22 in